Party favors are the number one most wasted item at an event, says Jenna Rose, a local wedding planner who specializes in eco-friendly weddings. But, good news, Rose has some great ideas for cutting the clutter while showing a little gratitude for Mother Earth.
“Whether you want your party favors to be the most coveted or you just want a more eco-friendly event all around,” says Rose, “you’ll want a strategy for your gifts. Here are a few tips to have some less wasteful gifts for your guests.”
- Go for consumables. Local honey, coffee or late-night snacks are used immediately or within a certain timeframe and don’t add to clutter; just be cautious of allergies and dietary restrictions when making your selections.
- Opt for reusable. Personalized totes or water bottles mean your guests can use your gift over and over again. A crowd favorite, no matter how many they already have, are koozies!
- Offer experiences. These are a blast and take up no space at all. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on experiences either. You can partner with a local coffee shop for vouchers or gift cards, or you could purchase a subscription or membership.
- Shop sustainable. Sustainable, ethically sourced, or thrifted gifts are kind to the environment as they are to your guests. Handmade beeswax wrap makes a great gift or wrapper and is easy to theme based on event your event.
- Gift a donation. Making a donation to your favorite charity or a carbon-offsetting organization on behalf of your guests is an easy eco-friendly gift. Be sure to leave a note about the donation indicating that it will be in lieu of favors.
—Leona Baker and Jenna Rose
Photos Courtesy of Compass Rose Coordination; Courtesy of Totally Wedding Koozies, TotallyWeddingsKoozies.com