Coastal Virginians have access to dozens of incredible waterways. From the Chickahominy River to the Chesapeake Bay, there are so many beautiful creeks, inlets and marshes to explore. What better way to experience them than on a paddleboard?
Paddleboarding has skyrocketed in popularity in recent years, and it is easy to see why. The activity can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, appealing to all sorts of people. For the laid-back explorer, an eco-paddleboarding tour provides a tranquil way of observing local wildlife and exploring CoVa waterways. Fitness lovers have also embraced paddleboarding through paddle surfing, stand-up paddleboard yoga and other paddleboarding fitness classes. Paddleboarding can be enjoyed as a solo sport or along with a group, and families can also make a fun bonding experience out of it.
Ready to take to the water for your own paddleboarding adventure? Check out these Coastal Virginia paddleboard providers:
- Paddle On of Williamsburg: Paddle On offers a variety of paddleboarding classes, tours and events, exploring several of Williamsburg’s waterways. Learn the basics of paddleboarding with an introductory class, or rent a paddleboard and start your day at one of several launch sites, such as Chickahominy Riverfront Park or Powhatan Creek Blueway. Paddle On also offers several classes, including Paddle Yoga and Paddle Fitness. Outdoor season runs from May to September, and indoor paddle classes are offered October through April.
- Tula Adventure Sports: Whether you are an experienced paddleboarder looking to rent a paddleboard for the day or a novice interested in learning the sport, Tula Sports has something for you. Take a lesson, attend an event like Sunset Paddle or SUP Yoga, or explore Long Creek with a downstream paddle tour. Tula is located at the Marina Shores Yacht Club in Virginia Beach.
- Rudee Inlet Stand Up Paddle (RISUP): RISUP is conveniently located at the Rudee Inlet at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, and they offer a little something for everyone. Want to get in shape? Try a sunset guided yoga tour or a “bouy” paddle. You can also learn to paddle surf with a SUP surf lesson. If you just want a relaxing day of paddling, try a guided tour through Rudee Inlet and Owl Creek or an eco tour of local marine life.
- Great White Water Sports: Located in Ocean View in Norfolk, Great White Water Sports provides a variety of water experiences, including paddleboard rentals. Go for an exciting paddleboarding session in the Chesapeake Bay, then come back to the facility and take advantage of the amenities, including volleyball, cornhole and a grill.
- Paddle 757: Get in shape on the water with PaddleFit or PaddleYoga, or worship on the water with Paddle 757’s unique Paddle Church. You can also rent out paddleboards and explore the waterways of the Poquoson River, and an introductory lesson is available for beginners. Paddle 757 is located at Whitehouse Cove Marina in Poquoson.
- Hampton Watersports: Located in Buckroe Beach Park in Hampton, Hampton Watersports offers paddleboard rentals to adventurers looking to explore the Chesapeake Bay.
- Beach Eco Tours: Beach Eco Tours offers paddleboarding tours for explorers of any experience level. The tours are flat water scenic tours throughout the calm waters leading to the Chesapeake Bay. Take a moonlight tour of Rudee Inlet or a dolphin tour out in the ocean. Beach Eco Tours also offers private lessons, either on flat water or out in the ocean for paddle surfing. Tours leave from the First Landing State Park at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
- SUP Barre: Take your barre practice from the studio to the water by combining two of the most effective and enjoyable workouts designed to ensure positive results. Get in a total body workout while taking in gorgeous water views.
- Chesapean Outdoors: Chesapean Outdoors offers dolphin tours, kayak, SUP, bike tours and rentals, surf lessons, an Adventure Camp and a Waterman Surf Camp, as well as group/company events. They are Coastal Virginia’s premier experts for Kayak Dolphin Tours and have done more than any other company in the United States for such tours.
Whether you are a novice just looking to test the waters or an experienced paddleboarder, Coastal Virginia has a paddleboarding experience to suit your needs. Explore the many waterways interwoven throughout the Southside and the Peninsula, or brave the open waters of the Atlantic on your board. Check out the amazing variety of wildlife that call our coastal region home, and get a great workout in while you take in the sights.